Sunday, August 10, 2008

When the other parent gets sick...

My dad has been sick for the past few weeks. After he's had x-rays, cat scans, blood work...the doctors have still not come to any conclusions on what could be wrong. I feel helpless, because there is nothing much that I can do to help him. Nothing anybody can do, really. I've driven him to his doctors appointments since he's been on pain medication and made sure he's had some things to eat, but other than that, I can only help keep a watchful eye. It makes you feel uneasy when the only parent you have left has something wrong. Your mind goes there. The "what ifs" can't help but go through your mind. On top of that, nobody likes to be alone when they are sick. It's a comfort to have someone around to help take care of you, right? It was put into a new perspective again yesterday when I was leaving my dad to head home. I said that exact thing, stating "I'm sorry to leave you. Nobody likes to be alone when they aren't feeling good." His response was just sad. "Well, that's what I've had to accept on how my life is going to be now..." I cried the rest of the night. Mom was the best care giver. She would be taking charge and making those doctor's listen and questioning everything. This mystery illness would most likely be solved by now.

No comments: